An Iowan and Wisconsinite found themselves in Buenos Aires, Argentina for two years.
He did some commercial insurance brokering, she did some English teaching, then they moved back to Chicago with a baby porteño.
Here's their little story...

Sunday, September 2, 2012

20 miles, football, rice krispies, tough week

  • 20 miles REALLY hated me
  • good thing I have a chance to redeem myself in 2 weeks (next week we have the BA half marathon, then the following week is our 2nd and final 20 miler...)
  • next time I'm not going to have 2.5 glasses of wine the night before, and I'm going to go to bed early, and get out the door earlier...70+ degrees and sunny is NOT ideal running weather for this girl...I'm also not going to lose my heat pack and spend 1/2 hour looking for it while trying to get out the door...(we found it later in the day...it had fallen into the mop bucket...?!) ok now all of that is in writing, so let's see if I stick to it
  • so Jake is a stud, and felt pretty good for most of it...he finally agreed to a couple podcasts to help pass the time...which was nice 
  • I would say I tolerated the pain and heat until about the last few miles...when my back started spasming, making it hard to breathe...what is wrong with me?! please tell me that it's normal to feel THIS uncomfortable during a 3 hour run...
  • ...sadly I don't think it's normal, and hopefully for the next 5 weeks, my body can adjust into a comfortable long run state...keeping fingers crossed!
  • we rewarded ourselves with a return visit to Guido's, previously written about here
  • we arrived in the nick of time for a late lunch, and they again did not disappoint
  • our faves were the pasta and flan for dessert...this time they brought out a whole bottle of red wine, which we were unable to finish...still trying to rehydrate from earlier...we also got coffee this time...and the bill was 10 pesos more per person...hard to know if it's because of the wine/coffee or because of inflation (probably the latter)
  • I brought in an icepack to mend my plantar fasciitis right heel and my screaming hamstrings...I don't think the waiter minded
  • hooray for the start of college football!
  • we got home in time to catch most of the WI vs. UNI game...Jake found a way to stream it online...great way to watch in our sweats in bed...still needing rest from the run
  • I managed to get up to make some Rice Krispie treats...crazy how they taste even better than when we were kids...really savoring them since that was our only box or rice krispies and only bag of mini marshmallows that we brought back from the States
  • Sunday we spruced up our patio (after some major sealing work was done a couple weeks ago...note the rope wrapped around our interior wall)
  • ...great what a little spring cleaning can do!
trust us...this is clean...wish we had a before shot
  • started my third job this past week with an institute...I will be teaching a one-on-one adult class on Monday mornings downtown, and another on Friday mornings in Belgrano (~20 minute subway ride)
  • they're both only 1.5 hour classes, and a very nice change from the rebelling pre-teens and wiggly little ones...adults actually LISTEN to you without a fight!
  • hopefully this extra income will allow a second trip home for me...looking to attend a wedding or two!
  • another gnocchi day has come and gone (Wednesday the 29th) this time tried a creamy tomato sauce with sautéd swiss chard, carrots, onion, and garlic
  • happy to have this very challenging week behind us...Jake was super busy at work but it should slow down a bit this week, since a colleague of his will be back from vacation...
  • ...and as for me, we'll see how my busier schedule feels on week 2
  • I am NOT happy about the fact that I need to go back to a doctor's office 40+minutes away to re-do my health exam...already went in February, but now that I have my DNI, and I'm an official employee...need to to it AGAIN...always needing to re-do and reschedule things here...PATIENCE.
  • on a happier note, spring seems to have arrived!  we had a sunny, 70+ degree weekend...excited to enjoy some more outdoor time in this beautiful weather...happy labor day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment