An Iowan and Wisconsinite found themselves in Buenos Aires, Argentina for two years.
He did some commercial insurance brokering, she did some English teaching, then they moved back to Chicago with a baby porteƱo.
Here's their little story...

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

lost in translation...


  • there's something missing here with my students...
  • why have we not felt the bond that a teacher and student should have by the end of a school year?
  • where is the respect? where is the understanding? 
  • am I an ineffective teacher? what have I done wrong with this group to be missing this special connection? 
  • I think it could be a variety of things, but right now I'm blaming it on the language barrier
  • what I say to them must not be getting through...
  • they must not be understanding me fully, because if they were, then I don't think we'd be having such problems
  • and the reason I think this way at the moment is because I just received an e-mail from a former middle school student helper of mine from Chicago who is now in her first year of high school...
  • she kindly sent a short, sweet little message to say happy thanksgiving...
  • just what I needed to brighten this (yet again) frustrating day in Argentina...
  • with emotions flying due to having to miss an important family holiday, her e-mail really made me feel a lot better...
  • funny how a student can have such an effect
  • I hope that deep down my students here feel that I care about them, and respect them, and wish they could feel the same way too...aside from differences in culture and language

No comments:

Post a Comment