An Iowan and Wisconsinite found themselves in Buenos Aires, Argentina for two years.
He did some commercial insurance brokering, she did some English teaching, then they moved back to Chicago with a baby porteño.
Here's their little story...

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Papa Bergoglio Argentino

W 3.13.13
  • it was any ol' Wednesday afternoon
  • I was preparing to dismiss my 7th graders, then walk my way over to a student's house for private lessons
  • I checked my phone and saw that I had a few WhatsApp and Facebook messages from friends, saying things like: "Argentina! Go Becky! Huge celebration Argentina! Are they going nuts? OMG! How great to be there to witness...." etc.
  • I could obviously assume that an Argentine was elected pope
Thursday, March 14th newspaper 
  • so I went to Coto (grocery store like a smaller Wal-Mart), passing kioscos on the way with people chattering about the news, found the electronic section, and saw all the hoopla on TV
  • pretty exciting stuff
  • I guess I would have seen more had I gone into a Catholic church or the basilica
  • I texted Jake about the news, figuring he had already heard
  • but he was stuck waiting for an out-of-office meeting with a client and hadn't heard
  • he was with an Argentine (very Catholic) co-worker who, when shown my text "Papa Argentino", could hardly contain himself...during the time spent waiting for their meeting and the car ride home afterward, Armando would make no fewer than 4 signs of the cross, 6 glances toward heaven, 7 clapping bouts, and 5 enthusiastic handshakes/grasps with Jake (you know the kind that serves as preface to the man-hug)
  • it was an emotional experience for Armando - who teared up more than a few times - and Jake was happy for him
  •  since this very exciting news, porteños have pulled out their nation's flags and Vatican flags (or went out and purchased them) and have hung them proudly outside their apartment windows, store windows, and national monuments

  • a friend of a friend wrote this article about how the pope is a San Lorenzo Saints soccer fan (futbol team in Buenos Aires)
the pope, right next to pink panties...hehe
  • rough translation of the writing next to pope's picture^^^: 
"Little Boca (condescendingly referring to Boca Juniors, the soccer team), go look for an onion because the pope is a crow (a San Lorenzo fan) and you'll never have a potato!" (In Spanish, Pope and potato are spelled the same) 
  • in short he's gloating to Boca fans that the new Pope is a San Lorenzo fan

  • FUN FACT: the English Kindergarten teacher at my school has the same last name as the pope, Bergoglio...the pope is her grandfather's first cousin!
get your Vatican flags here!
  • I am happy for Argentina.  I hope a Porteño Pope will mean a positive step in a good direction for the country, and of course for the Catholic church as well
  • suerte Papa Francisco!

No comments:

Post a Comment