An Iowan and Wisconsinite found themselves in Buenos Aires, Argentina for two years.
He did some commercial insurance brokering, she did some English teaching, then they moved back to Chicago with a baby porteƱo.
Here's their little story...

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

ricotta cheese

  • shortly after moving in to our apartment a year and a half ago I was itching to make a lasagna...I finally had an oven!
  • so I found a recipe, made my list, and made my way to the grocery store
  • after searching for quite a while for the ricotta cheese, I gave up...and also gave up the idea of making lasagna (have never seen cottage cheese here either)
  • shortly after this sad incident, I was at a yoga class and somehow this ricotta cheese story came up
  • a guy in the class said, "They have ricotta cheese here.  It comes in a bag near the milk and butter." 
  • what?! in a bag?! I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised since I soon realized that many other products are sold in a bag rather than a  plastic container, and at a cheaper price, such as: milk, yogurt, shortening, liquid laundry detergent or softener, etc.
  • so I went back to the store, and sure enough, there was the ricotta cheese in a bag
  • I happily brought it home to make my lasagna...turned out ok...had leftovers for lunch the next day, ironically, before a yoga class, then came home and puked it all back up
  • was it the ricotta (in a bag)? bad ground beef? or the chef?
  • we'll never know (definitely wasn't the chef though, right?)
  • but now I know where to find ricotta...I still use it in some recipes and haven't gotten sick again
  • isn't it funny that when Argentines are in the States, looking for a bag of ricotta, they probably think it's silly to find it in a plastic container?
  • the world is pretty interesting like that...

No comments:

Post a Comment