An Iowan and Wisconsinite found themselves in Buenos Aires, Argentina for two years.
He did some commercial insurance brokering, she did some English teaching, then they moved back to Chicago with a baby porteño.
Here's their little story...

Friday, July 5, 2013

July 4, 2013

Th 7.4.13
bright-eyed and bushy-tailed...7:50am...waiting for our lady...not always so punctual here
  • the lady helping us was 40 minutes late...then it was an hour wait...total time at this lovely office = 2 hours

where they send the foreigners...
  • ...surely making me late for a 10am yoga class I was hoping to go to...grabbed a cab, arrived 10 minutes late, but got to enjoy the majority of the class
  • so the half training thus far has not quite gone as planned...not at all what I envisioned, in fact (joint pain, slow, walk/jogging...it ain't pretty)
  • so the yoga was a nice change in the week
  • made it to Septiembre on time where we had no kids today!  WOO HOO! 
  • instead, set-up for the school's "Muestra" was taking place all day
  • this year's theme was Argentine Artists...students did a great job with all of their beautiful art work and projects! have a look...

my 7th graders' display...will have to get the story behind it and share later
Kinder hands-on creation station
on the walls of the Kinder room
1st cycle's hallway of art
  • my little ones at Nightingale had their dictation mid-year exams today...the difference between a CVC short /a/ sound word and short /e/ is  SUPER difficult!
  • was asked by a director there if I had two in there (referring to my belly) then asked how far along I was...when I said almost 5 months, she said I looked a big for 5 months.  thanks.
  • convinced Jake to do a little 4th celebrating by trying out an American-ish bar in Palermo Soho called, Sugar
  • apparently they were having a little US Independence Day party...I appreciated the many American flags scattered around the bar, along with red, white, and blue balloons...and they were playing Forest Gump on a couple big screens...love it
please forgive the terrible quality of my Blackberry photos...forgot the Canon
but you can appreciate the beer pong sign and table...as well as the US flag an balloons, right?
  • minus the hour-long wait for our burgers, the food was surprisingly pretty tasty
Jake got the BIG Sugar Daddy Burger...which I'm pretty sure he enjoyed...see how tall it is?! he proceeded to tell me about the venison burgers from his childhood that always turned out looking like little black balls...M&P - I want to hear more about this
  • good thing we opted for an appetizer this time...without those nachos, I would have died during that hour wait
  • what's the 4th without dessert?
  • tried to walk off our burgers a bit...so we headed toward home and decided on my new favorite neighborhood helado cafe, Via Vecchia
  • I was craving their cinnamon apple ice cream, in honor of the All-American Apple Pie:
we shared
  • the friendly staff asked us if we live in the neighborhood...then they gave us a flyer with their daily deals (dangerous) and reminded us that they deliver
  • Jake joked that they hit the jackpot once they found out they have a pregnant lady in the neighborhood...ha
  • HIGHLIGHT of the day though had to have been while lying in bed...I was sure this time that I felt the baby move! so I called Jake over and he felt it too!  ...just little sporadic thumps under my almost-popping-out belly button
  • Jake swore it was me hiccuping but I assured him it wasn't me...we got some movement in there! YAY!!!
  • happy 4th everyone! we're looking forward to fireworks, barbecues and family next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment