An Iowan and Wisconsinite found themselves in Buenos Aires, Argentina for two years.
He did some commercial insurance brokering, she did some English teaching, then they moved back to Chicago with a baby porteƱo.
Here's their little story...

Monday, July 1, 2013

Labor Training

  • Half Marathon Training Day 1
  • 19 weeks 6 days pregnant
  • why?
  • for fun and enjoyment, to keep myself sane, to stay on track health and fitness-wise (me and baby), to build strength and endurance for labor, and let's be honest, to somehow prepare myself for the pain of labor...if that is even possible
  • training for and running a race can be a painful experience...you really test your limits both physically and mentally...which to me, although I have yet to experience it, seems to parallel the whole labor process quite nicely
wouldn't be a blog post without pictures, right?
look how happy I'm going to look while running pregnant...haha...
  • we're hoping to have as natural of a delivery as possible...so what better way to train for this than building strength, health, and fitness, not to mention the mental toughness that running provides?
  • trust me, I've talked with others and done some research...and after reading other women's stories (and here), I figured, if they can do it, than so can I!
  • of course, every body is different...I will not run if I'm not feeling well or if my dr. advises against it...race goal: finish safely
  • and really, I have a feeling that not much "racing" will be going on come race day...walk/jogging might be more accurate (or waddling...or some call it "chugging"...SMC XC ;)
  • I'm the type that needs a race to train for in order to get me out the door and actually clock some quality miles during the week...so I feel like this is just what the dr. ordered!
  • I plan to mix in light weight training and hopefully some yoga into the plan...and will definitely be taking my miles a bit slower
  • so today begins our 10 week training plan 
  • we have a 15K half-way on Sunday, August 4, 2013
  • the Buenos Aires Half Marathon (same one we did last year) is set for Sunday, September 8, 2013...29 weeks, 5 days pregnant (for those who like the food comparisons...looks like I'll be carrying an acorn squash, almost a cucumber, in there by that time!)
  • the BIG race date is still set for Tuesday, November 19, 2013 (our due date!)
  • Jake is a saint for continuing to let me sign him up for these races...and continuing to be my training/racing buddy...
  • he's really a great running partner, and as cheesy as it sounds, running gives us the opportunity to just talk and be with each other without other distractions...all while taking in the city, enjoying a little nature/outdoor time, and exercising our bodies...all things we value and find very important
  • needless to say, I'm relieved to have him by my side through all of this...the training, "racing", labor/delivery, and everything that comes after
  • wish us luck...cheer for us...we'll keep you posted on how training is going!
  • p.s. are you a pregnant runner?  need to find some maternity running clothes? a friend recommended this site: http://fitmaternity.com/index.html    (I may have gotten the full-panel running shorts AND the Gabrialla support belt...hot stuff)

No comments:

Post a Comment