An Iowan and Wisconsinite found themselves in Buenos Aires, Argentina for two years.
He did some commercial insurance brokering, she did some English teaching, then they moved back to Chicago with a baby porteño.
Here's their little story...

Monday, September 30, 2013

Teachers Day 2013

Tu 9.10.13
  • last year for teachers day, the school gifted us with a night at the theater
  • this year, we ate beef...and lots of it!
  • the night before Teachers Day, the school took us out for a nice meal at La Escondida, a traditional Argentine parilla in Palermo Soho
  • here are some views upon entering...check out that hunk of provoleta cheese on the left there!
  •  on thing I really liked about this place was the all-you-can-eat salad buffet...nice compliment to the meat
  • I ordered the bife de chorizo...it was an excellent choice!
  •  these ladies ordered kabobs, which came with some fun waffle fries
  •  the table also shared various types of provoleta and french fries with onions...and as is typical, people passed around their meat choices to share as well

  •  it was a nice way to start off the celebration of our profession!
W 9.11.13
  • DAY OFF!!! = sleeping in! :) 
  • ...followed by a relaxing breakfast at home
  • I then made my way to a favorite cafe, Delicious

  • this was my first time having lunch here...usually it's just a coffee and/or treat...but I had been wanting to try their lunch food
  • I love that they bring out little toasts and hummus for a complimentary appetizer!

  • after a meat-filled night, I went with the veggie sandwich
  •  since we had our 30-week ultrasound scheduled today nearby, Jake met me for lunch and ordered the special...hamburger, fries, and salad
  • look how the burgers came out - sin bun!
  •  we then went over to get our fancy-shmancy ultrasound!  very fun...pictures here
  • Jake went back to work, and I went to work...at another cafe...a new favorite that's located between home and school, called Blas Parera
  • I really couldn't wait to get my hands on one of their fancy desserts:
photo taken at a previous visit
  • but...unfortunately, their cake display window was quite sparse this afternoon
  • so I settled for a latte and a lemon bar
  •  and let me tell you...I may just have to order this again sometime...not over-poweringly-lemony...undercooked (favorite) sugar cookie-like crust...YUM!!!
  • I went home and spent some time tomando-ing sol on the patio
  • ..and took a bath
  • then Jake and I interviewed a pediatrician (she might be the winner, although she doesn't speak English)
  • then guess what husband did?!
  • surprised me (earlier in the week) with tickets to the Colón Theater to see the ballet!...the International Gala to be exact!
  • both of us had never been to a ballet...and it was on our list before the big move
  • so we decided on a casual dinner at El Curatito
  • really can't go wrong with that fugazzetta ...SO...MUCH...CHEESE!!! 
  • we made it to our seats just in time...Colón, I know you were built over 100 years ago when maybe people were shorter, but...poor Jake and his daddy-long-legs!
  • can never get enough of this beautiful teatro!



  •  guess what?! the ballerina on the far right is from Wisconsin!
  •  we were amazed, dancer after dancer, with the amount of talent these athletes have...it truly is a sport...incredible how these people can tone their bodies and train them to move in such strong, forceful, yet elegant, beautiful ways...it was a great show
  •  I think the baby enjoyed its first ballet too...well, at least the music
  •  dancers' final bow at the end
  • I think this has been my favorite Teachers Day yet!
  • now if I can just get CPS to give us a Teachers Day off in Chicago....
gift and card from Tomás at Nightingale...he drew the sweetest picture of me and "bebe de Becky"  LOVE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment