An Iowan and Wisconsinite found themselves in Buenos Aires, Argentina for two years.
He did some commercial insurance brokering, she did some English teaching, then they moved back to Chicago with a baby porteño.
Here's their little story...

Monday, September 2, 2013

the food processer/blender/mini chopper combo

  • I should start by saying that in the States, we own a food processor that I used every once in a while, but it wasn't an appliance I used every week
  • we bought our hummus, pesto, and almond butter at Trader Joe's, and I was completely content with the convenience and delicious taste of Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter
  • therefore, I rarely made these things on my own, especially the peanut/almond butters
  • but let me tell you something...there is no Trader Joe's or Smucker's in Argentina
  • peanut butter, pesto, and hummus exist here, but they're generally more expensive and just don't taste as good
  • so what's an expat to do?
  • start making your own!
  • during our "10 Days of Real Food" challenge, I borrowed a friend's (thanks again, Carolyn!) food processor to make some challenge-friendly treats to get us through
  • Carolyn seemed happy with her 2-in-1 Liliana food processor, so I set out to find the same one
  • but that's the thing about Argentina
  • products are constantly changing and are sporadically available at different stores
  • we looked into buying online, in-store, at Coto a supermarket chain where we have our La Nacion discount (with the newspaper...you know I'm always up for a discount)
  • but first, they didn't have the exact combo...either it was just the blender, or just the processor, or a combo of a blender, processor and chopper
  • we couldn't find what we wanted...and we went to four different Coto locations
  • so we kind of gave up...then settled on getting the 3-in-1, even though we didn't really need/want the chopper and we didn't want to pay more for it
  • so back we went to Coto  and of course, they were out of stock...and nobody could tell us when they'd be getting more
  • Jake was on the phone with Coto ..trying to locate the product we wanted in any store in BA
  • you can imagine how helpful they were
  • so again, we kind of gave up, realizing this was taking a lot of time and energy
  • then one day on my way to a student's house, I passed one of the Coto's and decided to stop in...just to see
  • AND THERE IT WAS...the 3-in-1 that we wanted! (this story's getting so exciting, I know)
  • I quickly called Jake to see if he could pick it up after work (the discount card is under Jake's name and can only be used by him...on Tuesdays and Wednesdays...of course...)
  • I was worried they'd be snatched up by the time he got there after work...but alas...we have our 3-in-1!
  • here are some of the delicious things we've been able to make with it so far:
roasted tomato soup
many, many, many smoothies...a pregnant woman's joy
ground flax seeds for the little bites below
energy bites
HUMMUS! FINALLY!
peanut....peanut butter....(and jelly!)
the first time around was a little chunky...I've since learned how to cream it up a bit
  • I think almond butter and pesto are next on the list (gotta get me another basil plant)
  • isn't it funny how this silly, little máquina has made my Argentine life so happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment