An Iowan and Wisconsinite found themselves in Buenos Aires, Argentina for two years.
He did some commercial insurance brokering, she did some English teaching, then they moved back to Chicago with a baby porteño.
Here's their little story...

Monday, October 1, 2012

estoy enferma...I'm sick

  • well, I guess my weekend of rest did not work
  • and I didn't think it was fair to expose my Spanish teacher, my students, and my after school adult student to my nasty germs
  • so I had to cancel them all... :(
  • I never do this, and I hate doing it! 
  • I just want everything to go as planned (which, if you know me, you already know I'm loca like that)
  • so my school is planning to send a doctor, not to really treat me or give me any meds, but to make sure that I'm really sick and to tell me how many days I'm allowed to stay home from work
  • I'm not allowed to leave the house until after the doctor makes the visit
  • even if he/she wouldn't technically "treat" me, I still decided to prepare the meds we already had at home, to see which one he/she recommended
  • ONE of those boxes was purchased here...the rest came in the crate, and I bet half are expired
our at-home mini drugstore
  • will let you know how the medico visit goes after he/she comes...
  • until then, it's back to bed, lots of fluids (which = lots of trips to the bathroom...ugh)...and hopefully this darn sore throat, stuffy, achey-ness will hit the road! I have lots to do this month, I don't have time for this being sick nonsense! 
my bedside; gross, I know
  • ok, she FINALLY came...I informed the school around 9am, and she didn't show up until around 4pm...wow
  • when she buzzed our apartment, I went down to let her in
  • thinking she'd come up to the apartment, we instead just stepped inside the building and in my broken Spanish I explained to her my symptoms, when they started, and what I've done/taken thus far
  • she then asked how many days I think I need to stay home...I suggested going back to work tomorrow, she said how about Wednesday, I said ok
  • she then wrote my little "hall pass" note to give to my school
  • and left in her little EduVida van
had to snap a shot
  • the whole "appointment" took about 3.5 minutes
  • and that is the protocol for calling in sick as a schoolteacher in Buenos Aires

  • oh, and I never got to show her my lovely array of drugs...probably a good thing...may have gotten arrested for smuggling in goods from the US
  • I later went with TheraFlu powder dissolved in hot water while taking a bath...the packet said it expired in 2010, but those dates don't matter right? just the company's way of forcing you to buy their product more often, right?
  • I do feel a bit light-headed/dizzy now...
  • probably good that we've almost figured out a doctor/hospital...might have to make a visit here soon
  • let's see what happens tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment