An Iowan and Wisconsinite found themselves in Buenos Aires, Argentina for two years.
He did some commercial insurance brokering, she did some English teaching, then they moved back to Chicago with a baby porteño.
Here's their little story...

Saturday, March 16, 2013

El Cumple de Jake - 28 años

Sa 2.9.13
  • what more could a boy want on his birthday than a shopping spree with his wife?
  • Jake is hard to shop for, and so, with a 4-day weekend, I didn't think he'd mind TOO much if we spent one of those afternoons doing a little shopping
  • SIDE-NOTE (I maybe screwed up our surprise Tigre getaway plans...with the 4 day weekend and all, we should take advantage, even though we just got back from travelling with my family, but Tigre isn't SO far away (this is my mind btw...always indecisive)  so basically I thought I reserved a cabaña on a river for two days, but turns out I didn't get to the bank to pay the deposit in time...oops, big misunderstanding, but good thing I have an understanding husband)
  • so after a little traditional breakfast-in-bed action
zucchini egg tart, French toast, fresh fruit, and coffee
  • ...we picked up his leather work bag (pictured) from his family and me (no more red Jansport!)
  • then got him a special Havana alfajor frappe (he shared)
  •  then we proceeded to buy an array of new shirts, and even found (part of) our name stamped on a building
  • for lunch, we tried California Burrito Company for the first time...it was no Chipotle, but it was close enough...HUGE burritos!
  • that night I made one of his favorite meals, pot roast
  • I attempted to make this chocolatey tart that looked a lot better on the website...but we ended up liking it just fine
  • that night we met some friend out for some drinks to continue the celebration

Su 2.10.13
  • on Jake's actual birthday, it was all about luxury and relaxation
  • starting with a fancy-shmance brunch at Hernán Gipponi Restaurant, located at the Fierro Hotel


  • this is what we had...see if you can match the dish to the picture!

 




just to help you guess what this one is, those are three french fries holding up the meat ;)
  • we were shown around the place, given slippers, a towel and robe, then Jake was up first for his hour massage
spellcheck?
  • I checked out the jacuzzi and read a bit until it was my turn (wasn't that nice of him to suggest we BOTH get a massage?!)
 
  • after our massages we were given pastries, fruit, and juice
  •  and we chilled by the pool for the rest of the afternoon

(quick review: overall decent place for the price, massage was a bit rough (painful at times), pool was very small and needed cleaning, jacuzzi was cold until I figured out how to turn on the heat, outdoor space was small but relaxing)
  • when we went to leave, it looked like this:
DOWNPOUR!
  • and after trying to wait it out for a good 15 minutes, the McDonald's down the block was calling our name
  • so we took refuge from the storm and split a value meal...
  • ...without spoiling our appetite too much, because later that evening, we had reservations at Las Pizarras
las pizarras = chalkboards...so cute as a teacher!
whole menu was on chalkboards on the walls surrounding us
  • my favorite was the bread served with coffee infused butter (sounds strange, but was to die for)
  • Jake enjoyed his bondiola, and me my pasta dish
  • then we shared a crème brûlée for desert...
  • HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY LOVE!
  • I'm always so happy when your birthday rolls around...makes your age closer to mine, and makes me feel not so old ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment