An Iowan and Wisconsinite found themselves in Buenos Aires, Argentina for two years.
He did some commercial insurance brokering, she did some English teaching, then they moved back to Chicago with a baby porteño.
Here's their little story...

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pick Market, Teatro Cervantes, and Milion

Sa 3.2.13
  • ok, ok...all I blog about is food
  • but come on! you sit down to eat at least three times per day, and we're in a different country, with different foods, and different restaurants...and if you know me at all, you know I have a big appetite, and love to eat....so give me a break people! (had to get that out there)
  • I read a blog a while back about The Pick Market, a place that sold white cheddar cheese...
  • then I realized that there was a location in our neighborhood, and I had to check it out
  • although there was no white cheddar on my first visit, I did discover other good looking imported products, along with a variety of wine, oils, spices, and a fresh selection of various meats and cheeses (including turkey! ...ended up buying some on a different visit, was expensive, a little salty, and went bad fast...but that first sandwich was probably worth it)
  • so far, I've gone back there for their meat and cheese, sesame crackers (only 4 ingredients!), and Swedish bread (also like crackers, and healthy)





  • anyway, on this particular Saturday, I took Jake for lunch
  • we shared a couple different sandwiches on tasty baguette bread
  • I got the bondiola (which looked more like jamon crudo) with gruyere cheese, olive oil and pepper
  • and Jake ordered a ham, brie, arugula, sun dried tomatos and I think some sort of honey mustard (we both liked his better)
  • we shared the bottle of Torrontés you see pictured there...que rico!
  • we stuck around a bit longer to read, sip vino, and take advantage of outdoor seating before winter hits
  • that night we met up with friends to see the show, Jettatore at the old, beautiful Teatro Cervantes
  • the play was first performed and 1904, so it's been around a while
  • of course, it was all in Spanish...and we missed the first 15 minutes because we were confused on the time, but I got the general gist, and given that it was a comedy, the actors motions alone kept me laughing (or I'd just laugh when those around me would laugh)
  • here are some shots of the inside of the theater:


loved these old red velvet chairs!
  • with the great theater district here, we really need to start seeing more plays! 
  • after, we went out for a drink at Milion pretty cool place in this old mansion (just click on to check out their super awesome website...seriously so fun)
  • they have some seriously awesome mixed drinks, and since Jake and I hadn't eaten, we ordered a couple different salads to share (both were delicious) 
  • Jake ordered the most random mixed drink on the menu...some concoction of Corona, tabasco sauce, and lime (I thought it was disgusting. he liked it)

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment